Thursday, March 8, 2007

Coconut Chutney

Coconut chutney is my Dad's favorite dish. In India and especially in our town salem there is one hotel where they serve very good coconut chutney. I don't even remember the name of the hotel as we always called it as "chutney hotel". When we used to go out for dinner , my dad would always ask which hotel we wanted to go. Actually my sister and I would always crave for chinese items. But we would sometimes say ok to chutney hotel just to make our dad happy. My mom makes good chutney too...but according to my dad its never like the one at "chutney hotel". I always wonder what the secret ingredient is?

Chutney goes well with any south indian breakfat items like dosa,idlli,pongal or adai. It is the simplest of all chutneys.Anyway here is my version of coconu chutney...

Ingredients:
Grated coconut- 1 cup
pottu kadalai- 1/4 cup
green chillies- 4
salt- as required

Procedure:
Grind all with required water. The end mixture must be a smooth paste. Heat oil in kadai and fry mustard seeds, urad dal, red chilly and curry leaves. Pour this over chutney and mix well. You can add water according to your prefernce to make the chutney thick or thin.

Variations:
You can add curry leaves/ginger/red chillies when you grind chutney. Each produces a different flavor. But I like mine the usual way.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you find the secret ingredient of the "Chutney Hotel's" chutney?

Kribha said...

Hi Dosa Priyan,
That's a really cute name. I can understand how much you must love dosa. Coming to your question, I was told that adding "kollu" is the secret for their tasty chutneys. But I've never got the chance to try it as I don't get kollu here. Anyway, you can try it and let me know if you want.
Also, Thankyou so much for stopping by and writing a few words. Please keep visiting.

பிரதீபா said...

Hi Kribha,
I was amazed at ur recipes, when I searched for a brinjal gravy in the net.I got lost in your blog and at the end of one hour I realised I came searching for a curry. And when u say u luv chinese, I am sure u would have visited Golden Dragon(GD's) restaurant in Salem.

And into this coconut chutney, my mom somtimes add two or three garlic and it has a different taste..

I will pick up some of ur recipes and try for this week to wow my husband(FYI, Till November I was doing Bachelor cooking :-)