Saturday, March 17, 2007

Egg Fried Rice

This is one of my the most favorite foods. Back in India, my sister and me would almost eat it everyday. We had a fast food restaurant close to home and we gave good business to them. After moving to US, I really missed the fried rice that I had in India. The rice we get in chinese restaurants were definetely not the same. In due course, I got accustomed to that taste also. For sometime I was doing the fried rice the chinese way. But soon I got tired of it. Then one day I went to an indian-chinese restaurant and had chicken fried rice. It was awesome and tasted similar to the one we have in India. After that I figured out the recipe and started doing it at home. Since then it is our family favorite.


Ingredients:
Basmathi rice- 2 cups
baby carrots- 8 (can use regular carrot )
beans- 10
capsicum- 1/2
cabbage- 1/4 cup(shredded)
spring onions- 2 stalks
minced garlic- 2 tsp
eggs- 2
soy sauce- as required
sesame oil- 1 tsp

Procedure:
Cook rice with 4 cups of water. Spread on a big plate and cool. All the grains should be seperate. Heat oil and sesame oil together in a wok. when the oil is smoky hot add finely chopped carrots, beans and garlic. cook for 3 mins. Then add capsicum. fry a minute. Move the vegetables to one side of the kadai and add eggs to the wok. Scramble them after adding some salt and pepper. when done mix with vegetables. Do not over cook vegetables . It has to be crisp. Add rice,salt, soy sauce and 1/4 tsp pepper. Toss everything well. You can add crushed red pepper if you want the rice to be spicy.

If you want chicken fried rice, reduce the amount of vegatables and add cooked,shredded chicken. To make schezuan fried rice , add some chilli paste and tomato sauce.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Looks Gud. Can u pls post the soup which is shown in the picture along with the fried rice.

Thanks,
Anjali